Brazil Travel Glossary
Here are some common phrases that will help you get by when visiting Brazil.
Basic sentences & vocabulary
Hello! How are you?
Oi, tudo bem? (informal)
Oi, como vai? (formal)
How much does does it cost?
- Quanto custa?
- Excuse me, where is the _______?
- Por favor, onde fic o __________?
- Por favor
- Thank you
- obrigado/obrigada (male/female)
- Excuse me
- Da lienca, when passing or entering a place
- Por favor, when asking for help.
How many people?
I have a reservation for 5 people.
Fiz uma reserva para 5 pessoas.
I would like _______.
Quero um(a) _______.
Waiter, the bill please.
Garcon, a conta, por favor.
Further Portugese Information:
For more basic phrases and a pronunciation guide go to Sonia Portugese, which provides an easy to follow online handbook to Brazilian Portuguese.